Thursday 20 September 2012

REVOLT!


Oddly enough I feel now, at half past three in the morning, motivated enough to try and write something that will be hopefully interesting, maybe inspiring and perhaps insightful to anyone reading.
   This motivation comes from watching the latest episode of BBC3’s ‘The Revolution Will Be Televised’ on BBCiplayer.
   I don’t consider myself as someone who is knowledgeable in regards to the news, though nor am I completely ignorant of what is going in the world. I read the news most mornings via the internet but usually only skim through stories, clicking haphazardly about the screen until something pops up that appals or humours me. Though watching ‘The Revolution Will Be Televised’ made me discontented with being a passive spectator, someone who just listens but doesn’t put what they have just learnt to any use.
  For those who haven’t watched this enlightening yet hilarious program, you are genuinely missing out. The format is similar to programs like Dom Joly’s ‘Trigger Happy TV’ or Channel 4’s ‘Balls of Steel’, where the humour comes from real people being victims of absurd comments and characters. Though as you may have gathered from the title’ The Revolution Will Be Televised’ is politically motivated. The two brave individuals behind this program, Heydon Prowse and Jolyon Rubinstein openly insult and humiliate politicians, diplomats and celebrities using a series of satirical characters and comments. The majority of the program relates to injustices committed by countries and institutions, which we are told, ‘are all true at the time of the recording’, as well as some general mocking of stereotypical rightwing opinions.
   Despite it being essentially a comedy program I can’t help but feel riled up by the end of each episode, like I should be an active participant in trying to engage a revolution. One of the reoccurring themes within the program is tax avoidance and abuse. The program highlights malevolent moguls like Phillip Green (owner of TopShop and Aracdia) who avoid paying hundreds of millions of pounds in income tax by having accounts overseas. As well as Chris Grayling, an MP who used taxpayer’s money to payoff mortgages on multiple houses within London. Those are two of the living atrocities I can remember from the program that; have helped to confirm my already strong belief that Capitalism is a greed encouraging system of shite, and makes me want to succeed where Guy Fawkes failed.
  I don’t really have confidence that we will all unite and rise against the powers that be, because too many people are simpletons, content spending there lives aspiring to be like those creatures from ‘The Only Way Is Essex’ who actually detract from what the Human species has achieved. However there are people who try to incite change even if it’s just by boycotting certain shops or only buying fairtrade. With all the corruption you hear about it’s hard to see it ever changing but I’ve decided that it won’t stop me from trying.
  I’m not sure what I hope to achieve but this post shall be the start of it. I shall write again on this topic once I have achieved something.
Viva La Revoluci
รณn!
   

No comments:

Post a Comment