Sunday 9 September 2012

Just a Little Update


Amazingly it is already the beginning of September. Summer is probably over, though it’s hard to tell since the climate is on par with Michael Phelps for records broken these past two years.  This time last year we were making the most of the final days of warmth, preparing for the icy weather that was surely soon to follow, then a month later a week in October was warmer than any week we had in ‘Summer’.  So I shall keep my hopes up that winter will give us a miss this year and be replaced by vibrant rays of sunshine and some kind of hot snow which doesn’t go all slushy and brown making everything look bleak and polluted a few days after its fallen.
   Anyway my summer holidays have pretty much drawn to a close as I have now returned to Manchester to try and conquer my reading list before the start of term. It hasn’t gone entirely to plan since I returned as I’ve been… Sidetracked. When I moved into the house everything about it seemed void of vibes. The off white walls were blank and bare, mould hung above the sinks and the whole of the downstairs smelt of stale cigarettes and forgotten milk.
  The first thing we did was explore what we could do with what was already in the property. The key to interior design, I found, was the creation of spaces and focal points. In the living room we achieved this by trying to keep an open space within the centre of the room placing all the furniture bar one coffee table against the walls. In the downstairs bedroom we achieved this by placing a cat’s tail we found under the bed into a jar and putting it on a shelf.
   We soon ran out of interesting stuff already there so I bought some gnarly Indian bed sheets to hang about the place to hide the state of the walls. My nan provided us with a Sony stereo, that’s as old as I am, complete with vinyl player. She said it was broken but I don’t know what she thought was wrong with it because it all works fine. This prompted me to buy some vinyl which is how I discovered the magical and vibe producing band that is ‘Goat’ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swOjaFXnDeA. I spotted the vinyl in the ‘psychedelic rock’ section because it had a trippy case, which was enough for me to buy it. Turned out it was a good move because there the most original band I’ve listened to in ages (LISTEN TO THEM DAMN IT!). So now with ‘Goat’ playing, and things hanging from the walls and ceiling the living room at least, seems more homely.
   Even though I might only live here for a year I can’t help but try to make it feel like a home opposed to the staffroom feel of the student halls last year. As I’m living with two of the people I did last year, one of them being my cousin, there’s no issue with people leaving their possessions lying about indiscriminately or with the consumption of whatever’s in the fridge by whoever feels hungry for it.
    All in all it’s starting to feel like a home and perhaps I’ll feel comfortable enough to finish my reading list within the next couple of weeks.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment