Thursday 18 October 2012

Time is of the essence.


Students generally have quite a lot of time on their hands, most of this ‘free time’ could and probably should be spent doing work surrounding there course but even after fulfilling work requirements many of us are left with a large percentage of the week were we can do what we want.
   Though as a young person and a student I have the freedom now to do what I want without having many responsibilities that encroach on my lifestyle. Unable to find a job and unsure on whether or not I actually want one, my only real obligation is attending University, though I usually enjoy that. Occasionally I will wake up (usually hung-over) and decide to miss a seminar or lecture but I always make sure I’ve caught up with whatever it is that I missed. I encountered some students on my course that managed to get through the entire first year without reading a single book and claiming they don’t really like to read. Personally I don’t understand this at all, why would you decide to do an English degree if you hated books? It’s like doing marine biology whilst having utter contempt for whales. Aside from that we are paying thousands of pounds a year to do a degree, you want to get your moneys worth by getting a decent qualification. I don’t really imagine that those students are doing anything worthwhile with all their free time if they aren’t even bothering to do the work. Although, I don’t know them intimately, they could be masked vigilantes for all I know or perhaps even super villains, though they’re probably just general nightclub lurkers who are destined to lead a mundane life.
  Sometimes I have no reservations with sitting in the same place on the couch, baked, playing Xbox and chomping down tasty treats. (I did it often last year). Though recently I’ve been spending a lot more of my time doing productive things, in large playing the guitar. When I wake up and I feel like I can’t be bothered to get dressed let alone do some work the guitar seems to beckon me towards it and I will spend many guilt free hours playing away. Then on the days when I’ve got to do reading or coursework pretty much all day I’ll have little intervals where I play guitar as a kind of cathartic release from everything.
  However I’ve become less satisfied with playing on my own, I really want to form some kind of band, even if it was just a 4 or 5 of us practicing in a garage. If I formed one and we did a few gigs it would be awesome, but it’s partly just because I’ve got the time to do it now and I might not in a couple of years. This year I think I appreciate being a student a whole lot more, partly because it’s the second year and it doesn’t seem like the end is too far away and also because my friends at home with jobs have got hardly any free time in comparison. I don’t see myself ever having a conventional 9 till 5 job I don’t like, I find the idea of that slightly horrific, but eventually I’ll have to get a job if I want to continue to eat. At the moment I plan to do a masters to put off the world of work for as long as possible but when I do get a job I’ll make sure it’s something I enjoy.
    I want to be able to look back on my time as a student and remember all the funny stuff, like getting a tattoo in the bedroom next to mine by my mate Dan at midnight (http://doomandgloomtattoo.tumblr.com) or having a house party where a fat white chap who thought he was black threatened to beat up everyone, there are other things I want to, but shall not disclose for my mother reads this blog. I feel this is starting to get nostalgic and slightly morose even though it’s not meant to be and I’ve got another two years of being a student, possibly more. To conclude I don’t take it for granted and if you are a student you shouldn’t either.

No comments:

Post a Comment